Thursday, November 21, 2013

Satisfying Quinoa Pilaf

This was my first attempt at making a "vegan" dish.  For medical reasons, I must cut down on the meat, so I am determined to give it a try.
  

I have always loved INDIA style food, and it's just what the doctor ordered. Tonight I used what was in my kitchen, and found a recipe for Quinoa Pilaf.  In this dish you may use whatever veggies you desire, but the peppers, onion and garlic are a must have, so are the spices. 


This was also my first time cooking with Quinoa, LOVE IT !   This grain gives rice a run for the money.  Quinoa will be used in a lot of my future cooking.

I had Potatoes & Kale in my kitchen ready to be used, so I thought the sweetness  of the sweet potatoes would be nice contrast with the kale.  I was right!

If this is how Vegetarian eating is, I should have  started eating this way long ago.  LET'S GET STARTED. 



Ingredients



Complete meal in itself, this flavorful Quinoa pilaf will become your favourite in no time. It's great for lunch as well as a quick snack.
first heating up water in a pot 
when the water starts to boil add the quinoa 
cover the pot with a lid 
let the quinoa cook for 7-8 minutes 
water will be dried up and quinoa is cooked 
set the cooked quinoa aside. 

Now start working on the vegetables, because I use "Sweet Potatoes" I cooked them until slightly tender, ( WITH THE KALE) then drain.
 
Heating up oil in a pan 
put cumin seed when the oil is hot enough. Seed should sizzle
 
When the cumin seeds start to splatter add the chopped garlic and green chili 
saute them altogether for 30 seconds.
 
Now add the chopped onions and give them a quick stir.
 
Put in salt and turmeric powder and mix all together well.

Cook the onions for 2 minutes 
now add the chopped vegetables (carrots, mushroom, green pepper, yellow pepper and broccoli, sweet potatoes and kale.
 
Keep on stirring and mix the vegetables with the spices and onions and garlics 
cover the pan and let the vegetables cook for 5-6 minutes.
 
(now the vegetables will become little tender)
 
Put garam masala and mix well with the vegetables.
 
Now add the cooked quinoa and mix well with the vegetables.
 
Add the lemon juice and mix well 
Cook for couple of minutes.

This dish can be served hot or cold.  I do hope you give it a try,and 
Enjoy Cooking !

No comments:

Post a Comment