This soup is for everyone: it's gluten free and vegan!
Makes about 7 pint servings or 14 cups
- 1 cup of lentils - rinsed
- 1 cup quinoa - rinsed
- 1 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes - organic (with no additives)
- 1 cup onions - diced
- 1 small sweet potato - diced
- 1/2 cup celery - diced
- 1 large, fresh garlic clove - finely chopped
- 3 - 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or just enough to cover the bottom of the pot)
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- pinch of turmeric
- 3 quarts water (or use half vegetable broth if you prefer)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with some freshly grated parmesan and slivered basil (optional)
Place a large stockpot (4 quarts or larger) over medium heat. Add the oil, heat for a minute or two and add onions, potatoes and celery and cook until softened, about 10 minutes
Add the pinch of turmeric, pepper and garlic, cook for a minute more, add the tomatoes and cook for about 15 minutes to concentrate the flavor.
Add the water and the lentils, bring to a boil, lower the heat to a gentle boil and cook for 30 minutes.
Add the quinoa, cover and cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Let it sit off the heat for about 5 minutes, and season to taste.